During RHF's 8 Week Challenge, participants gather for a healthy potluck. jLo's delicious pasta and pesto was a huge hit! Bonus that it's both vegan and gluten-free. She agreed to share her recipe with us and our members. jLo says:
This is the base recipe I use. I generally taste and modify according to my mood and what is in my pantry or fridge. This easy vegan spinach and kale pesto recipe is perfect if fresh basil is out of season, above your budget or difficult to find. Pair it with traditional noodles or enjoy with fresh zucchini noodles or edamame (or sweet potato) noodles for a other health alternatives.
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach and kale (firmly packed)
1/2 cup walnuts
1/8 cup olive oil
2 1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1-2 clove garlic (optional - to taste)
2 medium zucchinis
1. Add spinach, garlic, lemon juice and salt to your food processor. Process until spinach is completely processed and garlic is reduced (about 45 seconds).
2. Add remaining ingredients (walnuts and olive oil) to the food processor mixture. Process again until walnuts are fine, resembling pesto.
3. To make your noodles, peel your zucchini (remove outer green peel).
4. Use a clean vegetable peeler (or a vegetable spiralizer if you have one) to slice zucchini into “noodles.”
5. Place noodles and sauce into a large bowl and gently stir using two spoons until well combined.
6. Enjoy immediately.
Spinach pesto keeps extremely well in the fridge for up to 4 days. If making in advance, store sauce in fridge. Then make fresh zucchini noodles at the last minute and assemble.